Testimonials from Windyke Guests and Golfers - Memphis Golf
"Dear fellow Windyke members,
I hope this emai finds everyone doing well and excited to start playing more golf this spring as weather continues to improve. As I am transitioning from being on the road full time for almost 20 years playing professional golf, I ask Russ if I could share my family's new Sunday routine with everyone.
About 8 weeks ago, Russ ask me to bring my family out to the club after church to try Sunday brunch. Well, needless to say, eight weeks later, my family has only missed one brunch. I, like many of you reading this, get comfortable going to the same places to eat on Sunday or simply fixing something up at home.
After the first couple of brunches, my wife, Leslie, and my two sons raved about the food prepared by Chef Scott Donnelly. I prefer the breakfast consisting of made-to-order eggs, sausage and bacon, biscuits and gravy, waffles to die for, and the best grits I have ever tasted anywhere-I kid you not. As you can tell, I have primarily eaten the breakfast items, but the lunch items are excellent as well. You will just have to reference the rest of my family for their opinions on that.
Having two young boys agree on the same place to eat is literally like winning the lottery these days. So after church this past Sunday, I asked the boys, "Where are we going to eat today?" To my liking, they both responded, "Windyke." Hopefully, the lottery will be that easy this week as well.
I, like many of you, have to watch how much we spend eating out these days. This is when it dawned on me to share my experience. For $15 for adults, $8 for children under 14, and free for children under 6, this has been a no-brainer for my family. In fact, we invite a few different families each week. Now they are basically inviting themselves on Sundays! So just look for the loudest table in the tent and most likely it will be the Barron family and friends.
I hope your family will come out and enjoy what has quickly become a new Barron tradition these days.
Doug Barron "Jeff,
I just wanted to let you know what a great job Knox and all your employees did at Ben's rehearsal dinner on March 20, 2009. The food was delicious as usual; the facility was set up perfectly and the service was excellent!
I would highly recommend rehearsal dinners at Windyke for our members.
"I'll start with when my family first joined Windyke. I was around 13 years old when my father decided to move to Windyke. We made the switch from another country club in town because the quality of the golf courses at Windyke was at a much higher standard than what we were accustomed to at our previous country club. The quality of the courses up-keep and maintenance and the challenging layout was very impressive.
This also fit what we were looking for out of a home club. At the time, I was an aspiring junior golfer that played in numerous tournaments on a local, state and national level. I believe our membership at Windyke allowed me to continually improve my game and accomplish my goals in golf. I went on to play division one collegiate golf at the University of Southern Mississippi where I experience a high level of success. I was a two time All-American scholar athlete and two-year team captain for a team consistently ranking in the top 50 programs in the nation that climbed into the top 20 fairly often and won the University of Nebraska's tournament as an individual. We would travel around the country competing in tournaments hosted at some of the top golf courses in the nation, and I always felt like I was prepared to compete because of where I had grown up playing. Unlike many of my teammates and playing partners at competing schools, I decided not to play professional golf, but instead begin a career as a financial advisor here in Memphis using my education that I had received, thanks to my golf scholarship.
I now have my own membership at Windyke and am beginning to appreciate aspects of the country club that I had never noticed before. My golf now consists of an occasional 9 holes after work and playing on the weekend with my father and other friends that I have made at Windyke over the years. I know I can speak for me and my father when I say I would not trade the time we get to spend together on the golf course for the world. I have also made invaluable life-long friendships during my time at Windyke and expect to see many more develop. I am flattered and humbled by the level of personal attention shown to the members by the entire staff of Windyke, from the cart attendants all the way up to the owners. It truly has been a membership to much more than a country club, for me it has been a membership to a golf family. Thank you to everyone for making Windyke such a special place for me and my family. "
"To anyone who is interested in joining a golf club, I suggest you consider joining Windyke. I have been playing golf for 50+ years and have been a member at five clubs in four different cities. In addition, I've played in five different countries and have had the privilege to have played and competed on some of the great courses in the world. I mention this so as to give some credibility to what I am about to say about Windyke. This is what attracted me to Windyke and has kept me as a member for many years:
* Membership fees are very reasonable, and I find them to be the best value that I have witnessed anywhere.
* The club's owners play a lot of golf at Windyke. They experience what is good and/or bad on an on-going basis, and they also hear about it daily from the members.
* Every single year since I've been a member, I've witnessed that some major improvement has taken place. New cart paths, redoing greens, tree work, reworking traps, etc. Whenever I hear a member griping about something, I suggest they be patient as it is most likely to be addressed in a positive way before too long.
* Professional and courteous staff. Every person that works in the golf shop is a golfer and knows golf. From clothes to clubs to bags to gloves to balls and to everything in between, they use the stuff all the time; they are trained to know it and they are very helpful in helping the members buy the correct equipment. And, just as important, I promise you will never find a nicer, more accommodative group of people.
* The courses are ALWAYS beautifully maintained, challenging and interesting to play. Many local and state tournaments are contested over both courses, and I hear nothing but rave reviews from the contestants. The practice facilities are as good or better than any in the region (the new short-game area is the best around!) and the
Par-3 course is a wonderful asset for our club.
* There is never an assessment, and we never have to worry about Windyke "going out of business."
* Special events. They have them all the time. Demo days, Holiday golf tournaments, July 4th fireworks, Easter egg hunts, club championships, junior events, etc. This is an active, family-orientated, fun club.
* Great food service. The best casual lunch in Memphis. Great hamburgers and salads.
* And last but not least --- our reputation for having some of the best players in Memphis is well-deserved. You'll find, however, that the 30 handicapper will receive the same wonderful service and attention as the scratch player. Everyone is made to feel special at Windyke!
I have been playing golf at Windyke since the first day it opened in the early 1960's, and I still feel like it is a privilege every time I play it."
What can I say about Windyke?
This is a place where the trickle down theory actually works. It begins with Greg who is always ready to meet and greet his members with a smile and a hand shake.
Enter the Pro Shop morning, noon or late afternoon and you are greeted by the friendliest, most helpful and knowledgeable staff ever. Brent and his staff make sure all of your golfing needs are met. Whether you’re there to play, to practice, to take a lesson or to just ask a question, someone has the expertise needed to help.
Walk into the snack bar or dining room for breakfast, lunch, to schedule a banquet or to pick up a snack for your round of golf. You immediately know that Knox and his staff are at your service. When you hear, “Thanks for coming out today”, you know that you will get the individual attention you desire and deserve.
Now it’s that time of the month to write The Check. The office staff meets you with a smile and a friendly greeting that says you are special to Windyke. They try to ease the pain by letting you know that Windyke truly appreciates you.
What did I just describe? In a sentence; Windyke, Your Home Away From Home!
Listen to Greg every Wednesday Live at 6:45 AM!Click here for this week’s show.